Family Start for Pacific families
Talofa, Bula Vinaka, Kia Orana, Malo e lelei, Fakaalofa atu, Taloha Ni
Family Start is an intensive home visiting programme for Pacific families thats aims to improve children’s growth and health, learning and relationships, family circumstances, environment and safety.
Family Start helps:
- Children grow strong, learn, stay healthy and have positive relationships
- Parents and caregivers to be more confident about caring for their child
- Pasifika families create a strong and positive future for their child
Family Start Whanau Workers:
- Visit weekly in the first few months and get to know the family
- Support Pacific families to keep their babies/children safe and healthy
- Promote the new "Parenting Resources" during parenting education sessions to help Pacific families understand children’s needs at different ages and stages as they grow
- Help families work out what they want to achieve, change or improve, and make a plan with them to help them get there
- Offer ideas and encouragement, and help families solve problems as they work towards their goals
- Help Pacific families access resources and services in the community
Family Start is available in Lower Hutt City and Upper Hutt City. Anyone can refer. Referrals are accepted from before birth up until a baby is one year of age.